The Holidays are the one time you get to experience all the excitement of rush hour traffic in the mall parking lot.
– Melanie White
December is supposed to be a cheery, festive time (which it is), but when the lights switch on and the mall’s Christmas tree is up you know: things are about to get real. Food shopping, gift shopping, decorating the house, fixing five-year-old tree lights, wrapping gifts, cooking, baking, attending year-end functions… Need I say more?
Here are just a few little tips to help you stay organised during the most wonderful time of the year:
- Check that your Christmas tree lights work before wrapping them around your tree.
- Make lists (for gifts and food) and check them twice.
- Skip out on Christmas cards (although I really like them, who really keeps their Christmas cards these days?).
- Scribble the dates for important events on your calendar, and put the calendar somewhere you will constantly see it.
- Buy pre-chopped vegetables and other prepared foods to save time.
- Wrap gifts as you buy them.
- Upcycle old/broken Christmas decorations.
- Aggressively clean the house in advance.
- Shop online for, well, everything!
- Buy little extras, like chocolates, to add to gifts or as emergency gifts.
- Budget for everything, including gifts, food and drinks, and decorations.
- Get your S/O and family to help out.
- Bake a few days before (imagine baking everything on the day of whatever event is happening?)
- Remember to take the appropriate Holiday photos and capture those memories.
- Don’t forget the milk and cookies!
Well, that’s all from me. I will try to follow my own advice this December, and I hope that you do too!
How are you going to stay organised this season?