It is absolutely no secret that Suicide Squad’s Harley Quinn is going to be one of the top Halloween costumes of 2016, and I am totally on this bandwagon. Her look is iconic and extremely easy to recreate. Contouring- what is that? Highlight- who cares? Harley is just a mess of makeup and good eyebrows.
However, maybe you want to stand out just a little bit more while still prancing around as our favourite mentally unstable antihero.
Keep on reading to see how I created the three styles of Harley Quinn, and remember I am (clearly) not a professional, but perhaps these three styles will inspire you this Halloween.
Classic Harley Quinn
- Apply a face primer all over your face, which will ensure that your makeup lasts all night. I used Maybelline’s Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser for this.
- Use the lightest foundation that you can find and blend it in all over your face. Harley’s face is super light, so don’t be shy. I used the Essence Soft Touch Mousse Make-Up in the lightest shade.
- Apply the bluest blue eye shadow on your left eyelid and smudge it down towards the left side of your face. I used a bright blue eye shadow from a mysterious brand called Assio.
- Put the tiniest amount of black eye shadow in the corner of your eye and blend it in. You can also use the black eye shadow to darken your blue eye shadow. Genius.
- Do the same to your right eye, but with a dark pink or red eye shadow. I used the Essence XXXL Longlasting Lipgloss in the shade Hot Brownie, which is a red, velvet matte lipgloss, and smudged it into my skin towards the right-hand-side of my face.
- Using a liquid eyeliner, draw a heart on the right-hand side of your face and write ROTTEN underneath. Remember you’re probably going to be looking in a mirror- DO NOT WRITE IT BACKWARDS!
- Apply a matte red lipstick onto your lips and smudge it in downwards on the right-hand-side. I used Revlon’s Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor in the shade HD Passion. Have you seen my blog post about these liquid lipsticks?
- You can use a setting spray to set your makeup because you want to be Harley the whole night, not for two hours.
Pop Art Harley Quinn
- Do exactly what you did for Classic Harley Quinn.
- Draw little dots all over your face with a very light concealer stick.
- Using a black liquid eyeliner, draw a line under your cheekbone, on the bridge of your nose, around your hairline, in between your eyebrows, around the side of your nose, underneath your lips, lining your lips, on your jawline and around the smudged makeup.
- Use white face paint and make a little line on your upper and lower lip for some classic comic-book glossiness.
Zombie Harley Quinn
- Do exactly what you did for Classic Harley Quinn, however, use a blue-green eyeshadow and brush it all over your face.
- Using a red lipstick smudge it in the places that you would like your cuts and bruises to be (it would look super cool if the heart and ROTTEN were cuts). I used the Essence XXXL Longlasting Lipgloss in the shade Hot Brownie.
- Dot some black eyeshadow on it and smudge a line of black liquid eyeliner, then apply more lipstick over it.
- Apply some fake blood to those places, around your mouth and, well, everywhere.
Harley isn’t Harley without her dip-dyed hair, iconic outfit and her baseball bat, so don’t forget about this!
Leave a comment and share your ideas of how one could recreate Suicide Squad’s Harley Quinn. You can also tag me in your photos on social media (links at the top of the page).